Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Etsy Love, Part Two

You all already know this, because I posted about it a few months ago, but I really heart Etsy. Think about their mission statement for a second and I dare you not to love the idea:
Our mission is to enable people to make a living making things, and to reconnect makers with buyers. Our vision is to build a new economy and present a better choice: Buy, Sell, and Live Handmade.
How can you not love that? After spending more than a year so far planning our wedding, I've seen so many mass-produced, cookie-cutter wedding items. And so the idea of spending reasonable money for a talented, creative artist to custom-create things for our wedding - it fills me with glee.

Here are some of the things that we've bought from Etsy so far.
  • Poetry cufflinks, from Tilly Bloom (a present for Justin to wear with his tux on the big day)
  • Brass locket, from dollarsupplies (I'm going to put black & white photos of my late grandmothers in this and pin it to my bouquet)
  • Vintage grey lace, from vidalbuttons (I'm going to wrap my bouquet with this lovely lace - I've been in love with grey lace and pearls lately)
  • Map journal, from SushiPapercraft (our guestbook, featuring a map of the Americas from the 1600s on the front & back covers)
Here are some of the things on our Etsy "to-buy" list:
  • seller deciduousoul is making four of these seam-binding flowers, one in blue and three in ivory, for me & my maids to wear on sashes around our waists
  • our wedding bands, except ours will be made in white gold. I love these so much . . .
And just found this the other night, but strongly considering it in lieu of a separate veil & flower fascinator: white gardenia hairpiece with vintage book leaves. Vintage book leaves, people!!!

No comments: