Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Wisdom from the Maritimes

THIS. This is so perfect & important & just-plain-old something that needs to be said. It's about men and women and why the old stereotypes still stick. In an enlightened, modern world, why do men still call their wives "the old ball & chain"? Why do women still bitch about how messy or bad at listening their husbands are? Are these tropes real or are they constructs that obstruct us from acknowledging the real nuances and complexities of our romantic relationships?

I love how the post linked above confronts that question and comes down squarely on the side that my husband & I do. I probably don't need to tell you which side that is. ;) Here are some of my favorite parts of the post (which you should go read the entirety of):

The men I know are just as complex and flawed and generous and maddening as I am.
When women proclaim Male Pattern Dumbness as if I'm supposed to snort and agree, I pause and think of my sons and the partners they'll encounter. I expect as much kindness for them as I do from them. They are as much kings as any girl would be queen and what that means is all things sensible. If husbands are obligated to behave exactly as we want them to, then we're obligated to offer the same. What would your ideal behaviour be, as defined by the man in your life?
We're grown-ups. We chose our partners -- every aspect of them -- just as they chose us. Everyone compromises. That's why they call it love. Inept men are not foisted upon all of superior womanhood along with an avalanche of dirty socks.

No comments: