Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Photographer - Very Nearly Done!

Sometime over the summer, I began our photographer hunt. I found someone in northern Maine whose work I really liked, and she even had a package that included a photo booth! However, after crunching the numbers a bit, I realized that her most basic package, plus the extra $600 for the photo booth, would make the final tally for her services a bit more than we wanted to pay (well over $3K).

So it was back to square one. But not really, because now I had a better sense of what photographic style worked for us. After stumbling onto the New Hampshire branch of the Wedding Photojournalist Association, I realized I liked a photojournalistic style best. So even though our photographer is not listed on that site, I somehow managed to find him with that thought in mind (can't remember for the life of me how).

His name is Aaron Rohde and he's based out of Dover, NH (just 12 miles up the road from Portsmouth and where we used to live until June). His website is really well designed and has a sweet, fun playlist set up for the wedding slideshow. Justin joined me in looking at it and was equally impressed.

After some email tag over the summer, we met with Aaron a few weeks ago. He's a chill kind of dude, someone who seems like he'd be a mellowing influence on wedding day. He showed us a slideshow he'd set up for us of sample wedding photos, including some detail shots that hadn't been on his website, and we talked a bit about the nuts and bolts. Currently (this will change soon), his 8-hour package is $2K
and includes full rights to the pictures and a free engagement session!

After we walked out of the Dover mill building his office is in, I said to Justin, "It's a no-brainer, right? We like his work, he seems cool, and his price is really reasonable." So in a few days, when I've sent him the contract and paid the deposit, bingo! We'll have our wedding photographer. Below are just some of the images I love from his site:





No comments: